A look at what happens when you've climbed back out of the rabbit hole.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Importance of Support

I don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of support in recovery. I want to discuss two fields of support that I believe are equally vital: clinical, and family/friends.

First, clinical support. I can say with 100% certainty that I would not be where I am today were it not for the guidance of my treatment team. Those people include my therapist, my dietitian, and the other therapy/dietary staff at my outpatient program. I have been so blessed to find a therapist who is absolutely committed to her work, passionate about her calling, and unfailingly ethical. She also never hesitates to call me out on my bullshit. I trust her completely, and for me, that's a big deal. She's firm and tough when she needs to be, but she's also beautifully compassionate and mercifully gentle. My dietitian knows her stuff through and through, and unflinchingly combats the eating-disordered thoughts that threaten to take me back to where I used to be. She understands the reality of this disease, its power, and - thankfully - the ways to beat it. The other members of my team are there for me on a daily basis, encouraging me when I succeed, and supporting me when I struggle. I am grateful for all of them.

Family and friend support is different, but just as important. Many of my friends and family members don't understand first-hand how this battle works, but that doesn't diminish their impact on my recovery. To have people to go to when I just need a hug is pretty powerful all by itself. Then there are my peers in recovery, who intimately understand the nuances of the disease. Their empathy and solidarity are beacons in the night.

It is impossible to go through this journey alone. I know; I tried. It is a very long road, littered with blind turns and potholes and flash floods. It can be awfully discouraging. But - as with any endeavor - it's a road best travelled with company.

No comments:

Post a Comment